Sunday, September 28, 2008

Freestyle Cortez Watch



I really like this watch by Freestyle USA. The Cortez is a very rugged watch which works well for casual wear along with formal wear, yet it's hefty enough to be worn in more extreme environments.

One thing you notice when you first get this watch is that it's obviously not made of all plastic. It has a little weight to it. Not too much, but you definitely notice it when you first pick it up. It has a analog and digital time display, which can be set to different times for a dual time display if needed.

There aren't a ton of functions on this watch and the one thing that every watch review will get if the watch doesn't have it is the fact that it doesn't have a countdown timer. This is a feature I use a lot. But even with a lack of a bunch of bells and whistles I still like this watch. The one thing that's kind of different on this watch is the way you set the time. To get to the time setting feature you scroll through the modes and when you get back to the time it's in the setting mode. This isn't too much of a problem, but I can see the possibility of buttons being pushed on accident and then the time being accidentally changed. I haven't had this problem, but it's a possibility. For features here they are:
  1. Time (dual, ana/digi), day, date
  2. Backlight
  3. Luminous hands. I've found after about a minute long charge the hands and number markings stay brightly lit for about 10 minutes, then dimly lit for about 45 minutes, after that, if your eyes are adjusted to the dark you can faintly make out the markings up to about a hour.
  4. Chronograph.
  5. hourly chime
  6. Alarm
  7. Solid Stainless steel case with screw down back. This means you'll have to take it somewhere to get the battery changed, unless you have the tools for this.
  8. Polyurethane strap.
  9. 100m water resistance.
  10. An area on the end of the strap that will keep the strap retaining loop in place so that it doesn't move around. This means the end of the strap stays in place.
The only problem I've had with this watch is the placement of the small loop that retains the end of the strap when it's in it's proper place. It's only due to the size of my wrist in that it sets right on the wrist bone and will tend to occasionally dig into my wrist. I just move it down further on the strap and I'm good.

This watch is also covered with a limited lifetime warranty.

As I said earlier, this watch is just as nice out on the trail as it is in a formal or casual setting. I really like it and I like it's look. It's a larger watch and I really like that look.

Colors: black, silver/black

MSRP: $100.00

No comments: